In October 2020, my debut novel, Fake It So Real, was published by Gibsons-based Nightwood Editions. Not the best time to bring a book into the world, I know. My dreams of hosting a huge book launch/dance party to kick off a cross-Canada book tour were not to be. I birthed this book so that it could be read, shared, and enjoyed; so that people would connect with its characters, maybe see themselves in them and feel a little less alone in the world.
The pandemic, it seems, has been good for books. With our inability to connect with actual people, we are turning to connection through the written word. Independent book stores are thriving and, especially with public libraries closed in some places, little free libraries are flourishing. And since Victoria has the highest density of little free libraries in Canada, I thought I’d try to spread the word about my book through Victoria’s little free libraries.
I’ve placed five copies of Fake It So Real in five little free libraries in Victoria. I’ve created a contest for LFL readers, the rules of which are pasted into the front cover of each book:
- Read (and enjoy, I hope) the book.
- Once you’re finished, place the book in another Little Free Library.
- Post a photo of you putting the book in its new home, along with a few thoughts on the book (what you liked about it, etc.) on Instagram and tag me in the photo (@susansanfordblades).
On the summer solstice (June 21, 2021), I’ll do a draw from all those who’ve posted for a $25 gift certificate to the local, independent book store of the winner’s choice.
As of Saturday, January 24th, the books were in the following little free libraries:
- The Fernwood Re-Public Library on Fernwood Rd. and Balmoral
- Mouse in the Attic Book Box on Dallas Rd. and Paddon Ave.
- Moss Rock’s Little Library on May St. and Joseph St.
- The Albert Ave. Book Nook on Albert Ave. off Shelbourne
- The Fernwood Square Little Free Library in Fernwood Square
Here’s what you’re looking for:
I can’t wait to see where (and with whom) my books end up!
Susan Sanford Blades